DisabledPlanet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabledplanet for people who are disabled, and people interested in the subject disability.

Socket Irritation

cosmicmsgr
    cosmicmsgr

Socket Irritation Empty Socket Irritation

Post  cosmicmsgr Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi. I am new to this forum... I am hoping it can really help me as far as learning from those with more experience being an AKA. I have been an AKA since 2006. I have a suction socket (plastic liner with carbon fiber socket).

I normally do minimal walking to/from work, running errands, etc... but want to do longer walks for exercise and want to use my running socket as well.

The problem I am experiencing is skin irritation at the top of the socket in the groin area.

My prosthetist gave me some Alps lotion... but when it dries, it becomes tacky and my skin actually tries to stick to plastic liner... which is almost as bad as having no lubricant.

So, I tried Gold Bond Ultimate healing lotion and it does well... but it wont last for a 2 or 3 mile walk. And its obviously not easy to re-apply lotion to that area in public.

Is there something that works better in this area, which will allow for hours of pain free walking?

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 am